Monday, February 09, 2009


SF Finally Holds Prop 8 Town Hall:
Miracle Meeting on Feb 26


It will be nearly four long months since San Francisco gays lost the right to gay marriage, but the city is finally going to have a town hall later this month.

Why it's taken so long can only be chalked up to the calcified and closeted ways of the political leaders in San Francisco who delivered the crappy No on 8 campaign, and then did everything to avoid any sort of public forum to address accountability concerns.

I notice that Supervisor Dufty believes there will be a tremendous turnout, so he's secured the cavernous Graham Civic Auditorium to hold the expected large crowd.

Let's hope at least one hour is set aside for nothing other than public comments from the community. Sure, it will be nice to get the professional A-gays running the movement these days to speak with the rest of us, but I'm more interested in making sure they hear what us Goodwill-shopping D-list gays have to say about the Prop 8 campaign and need for better leadership.

Do not forget the months of demands for such a forum from just a handful of people that has finally brought about what should be a regular occurrance here - public gay community meetings.

Here is the announcement from Dufty that hit my in-box this afternoon:

Michael

Thanks for your e-mail message, asking that I write rather than speak by phone.

Last week, there was an evening discussion led by Andrea Shorter and Shum Preston with Kate Kendell and Geoff Kors following up on the Los Angeles Forum. Kimberly Alvarenga from Assemblymember Ammiano's office also attended.

Although I came late because of other meetings, there was discussion about the desire to have a forum in San Francisco about the No on 8 campaign.

It was suggested that Thursday, February 26th would be a good date, since it falls one week before the Supreme Court hearing on the case to overturn Proposition 8.

I offered to secure a venue that could expand in response to interest. I did not want to use the LGBT Center that could easily become overcrowded. It is my belief that a large number of people will attend.

So I have secured Bill Graham Civic Auditorium on 2/26 from 6:00-9:00 p.m., expecting that the program would begin at 6:30 p.m.

Cynthia Laird is willing to serve as a moderator/facilitator -- I would like there to be clear objectivity in leading this important discussion of the strengths and weaknesses of the No on 8 campaign, as well as principles going forward with any future campaign.

In addition to Kate and Geoff, Steve Smith has confirmed his attendance and David Binder will come to present his findings analyzing the vote and other factors.

It is important to me that there also be meaningful preparatory work, looking at the recently released No on 8 financial report and any other relevant analysis that can inform the discussion.

If you are willing to help me with any aspects of this planning, research and mobilization -- I would welcome your insight, direction and leadership.

I have called this a Community Building Town Hall with principles of open access to information, mutual accountability and a shared commitment on how we move forward. I have spoken with Mark Leno, who plans to be with us and Tom Ammiano, through his staff.

It is my hope to put information up on Facebook and through other means within the next 24-48 hours. EQCA and NCLR will also be publicizing this Forum.

Feel free to either e-mail me or call me.

Bevan

No comments: