Sunday, October 08, 2006


Washington Monthly: GOP Pundits Declare Time for GOP "To Go"


What is the exact wording of the political adage about standing aside when your political enemies are in circular firing squad formation and shooting at each other? I can't remember the adage precisely, but it damn good advice to the Democratic Party which came to mind as I read the great essays, written before the Mark Foley scandal erupted on the national radar, in the new issue of the Washington Monthly.

Authored by GOP pundits and leaders, they all want to see the current GOP Congressional leadership lose their corrupt grip on power and spending next month. If the writers were willing to pen these sorts of columns prior to Foley resigning and touching off a Congressional crisis, I can just imagine, with absolute glee, what they'd write today.

This one is my favorite essay and I just love the opening:

And we thought Clinton had no self-control
By Joe Scarborough


When The Washington Monthly reached me at my office recently, a voice on the other side of the line meekly asked if I would ever consider writing an article supporting the radical proposition that Republicans should get their brains beaten in this fall.

“Count me in!” was my chipper response. I also seem to remember muttering something about preferring an assortment of Bourbon Street hookers running the Southern Baptist Convention to having this lot of Republicans controlling America’s checkbook for the next two years.


Go read all of the columns, and start to think of how American politics in Washington may soon be taking a turn for the better, in four short weeks.

Links to the other essays:

Let's quit while we're behind
By Christopher Buckle
y

Bring on Pelosi
By Bruce Bartlett


Give divided government a chance
By William A. Niskanen


Restrain this White House
By Bruce Fei
n

Idéologie has taken over
By Jeffrey Hart


The show must not go on
By Richard A. Viguerie


Dear Mr. Viguerie, I could not agree with you more.

No comments: