Friday, July 21, 2006

My New Gay Iranian Friend

In my report on San Francisco's July 19 vigil I mentioned meeting two gay Iranians, both of whom were very pleasing to the eye, especially the more mature, or so I thought, of the two. Bears with shaved heads get my juices flowing. Little did I know one of them would read my blog. Well, he has, and does he have a few things to say! Thanks, Stranje, for being at our action. It was a pleasure to meet you and I hope to run into you again. Be well, my friend.

On a political and social note, it's fantastic to learn that Supe Mirkarimi is opening up his City Hall office to Persians of all persuasions for his regular community art exhibits. Just love knowing our S.F. rally brought two Persians together, and they're creating a friendship.

Who says global gay activism isn't worth the time, effort and money spent? HRW and IGLHRC.

From Stranje's blog, which is a fascinating window into his life and loves:

July 21

As you all know, I went to the protest against Iran on Wednesday afternoon. It was a small gathering to protest Iran's government for hanging 2 gay boys, just for being gay and nothing else.

I meet with Ross Mirkarimi, a member of the board of supervisor, who happens to be half Iranian himself and Michael Petrelis, who set up the rally all over the world on that afternoon. When I introduced myself to Michael Petrelis, I thanked him for setting that up, and that I was half Iranian myself. He asked me if I would like to speak, but I really had nothing to say, so I declined.

The funny thing is when I went back to his Web Page yesterday to read up a bit more, he had a comment under the San Francisco section with a link to some Photos of the rally, and I am in it. And in his comments he puts down "Before we began, a gay Iranian in his late thirties, introduced himself and said he just learned about the action today and showed up. He declined my invitation to speak for a few minutes."

LATE THIRTIES????? I am not in my LATE THIRTIES. I have barely passed my mid thirties and this man is already pushing me towards the grave. Bastard. Hahahaha.



July 20

I went to a rally, or assembly, what ever you call it at the Harvey Milk Plaza in the Castro yesterday. It was in regards to a couple of teen age boys that were hung in public in Iran last year for being gay.

It was a small group gathering there with a few speakers. One of them was Ross Mirkarimi who is a member of the board of supervisor in San Francisco and he is half Iranian. First one to be elected to public office in San Francisco. I got to talk to him for a bit and he invited me to a art show he likes to put on in his office to gather the Persians of San Francisco to meet and greet this Friday. Most likely I will show up there.

The Sisters in the Castro were there and one read a very beautiful poem that actually put tears in my eyes. After-wards I went up and thanked her for that and gave her a hug. As corny as it may sound, I felt moved.

I had never done anything like this before. It was a very small gathering but it still felt good to be a part of it.


You're the best, Stranje. So, would you like to help organize next year's July 19 international day against homophobia? Peace, my friend.

No comments: