Wednesday, December 21, 2005

FOIA Request: Has NSA Snooped on Me Over Iranian Advocacy?

When I first read about the warrantless NSA surveillance scandal, I didn't think it much applied to me personally. But that thinking changed as I realized, given the sweep of the spying and the fact that it focuses heavily on countries not on friendly relations with the U.S., I should file a FOIA request on myself because of my work this year on behalf of homosexuals in Iran.

It's no secret I've made phone calls to Iran, sent emails and wrote letters about the deplorable human rights abuses and executions of homosexuals in Iran and other foreign countries, that were sent to many gay advocates around the world.

Reasons for NSA to snoop on me? Maybe my communications were accidentally intercepted or monitored by NSA's web of worldwide surveillance?

The only way to find answers to my questions is through FOIA, so this request will be filed today to start the process.

I'm proud to join with other Americans who are also making FOIA requests for documents on themselves from NSA and on the agency's warrantless spying programs.

Have you filed a FOIA with NSA to see what they may have on you?

-

National Security Agency
ATTN: FOIA Office (DC34)
9800 Savage Road STE 6248
Ft. Meade, MD 20755-6248

Dear Sir or Madam:

Pursuant to the Freedom of Information Act, I hereby request copies of, or access to, any and all files and documents, in any media format, pertaining to myself. I ask that you search your archive from January 1, 2000, through the date of this request.

As you no doubt know, the matter of the National Security Agency engaging in many forms of surveillance on U.S. citizens making phone calls, sending emails and using other forms of communication to other countries, is of grave importance to maintaining our democratic form of government and engendered a crucial intense media debate.

Therefore, as a working news blogger covering aspects of the surveillance story, I formally seek to have this request cloaked with expedited processing status, as called for in great detail in the FOIA.

Furthermore, I ask that search fee and copying costs be waived.

Also, I will anticipate a reply from you within 10-days, as stipulated by FOIA.

If you have any questions, please contact me at 1-415-xxx-xxxx.

Regards,
Michael Petrelis

No comments: