Wednesday, October 12, 2005

State Dept: Iran's Torture of Gays, Annual Human Rights Report

Dear Mr. Potts:

Thanks much for your rapid reply. It pleases me to know the State Department will look at reports from Iran and Iranian exiles about the human rights abuses and executions of gays in that country.

I am well aware that the department's annual human rights report is quite comprehensive in documenting and reporting on the abuses of gays, lesbians, transgendered people and people with AIDS around the globe.

Back in May, I reported on my blog how the current State Department human rights report includes information on gay human rights issues, from Albania to Zimbabwe.

I hope the State Department continues to investigate and monitor these issues, and will publicly condemn the abuses of gay people around the globe.

Sincerely,
Michael Petrelis
San Francisco, CA

-
In a message dated 10/12/2005 7:13:06 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time, PottsLG@state.gov writes:

Mr. Petrelis:

Thanks for your e-mail. I am aware of the accounts of torture against gay men in Iran. Moreover, I will be sending the story by Doug Ireland as well as another article on this issue written by Paula Ettlebrick and printed in the Washington Blade to this year's drafter and editor of the Iran human rights report.

We will do our best to cover the torture of gays, lesbians, and transgender people whenever we have evidence that such practices are being committed. However, every account must be reviewed and checked for its' truthfulness before we make mention of it in the report. It is our practice to cover societal violence and discrimination against the gay, lesbian, and transgender community and persons with HIV/AIDS.

Also, I must inform you that I am not the author of the annual country reports on human rights practices, otherwise known as the human rights report. I am the managing editor of the report and I am only one of hundreds of people who work to compile each year's report.

Again, thanks for your interest in the report.

Sincerely,
LeRoy Potts
Deputy Director
DRL/CRA
U.S. Department of State
202.261.8025

No comments: