Thursday, October 13, 2005

NYT Public Editor: About Judith Miller ...

I can't wait to read what the New York Times' public editor, Barney Calame, eventually has to say about the Judith Miller mess, but he won't do so until the paper runs a full explanation about the matter, which may appear in the coming days.

-

NY Times
Public Editor's Web Journal
October 13, 2005


[snip]

But legal concerns should no longer rule the roost.

Now I look forward to assessing the full explanation that Bill Keller, the executive editor, has promised the paper will deliver to readers under the supervision of Jonathan Landman, the deputy managing editor. While a multitude of issues need to be addressed, I certainly will expect The Times’s explanation to address these fundamental questions that I first posed to the key players at the paper in July:

--Was Ms. Miller’s contact with the source she is protecting initiated and conducted in genuine pursuit of a news article for Times readers?

--Why didn’t she write an article?

--What kinds of notes are there and who has them?

--Why wasn’t she exploring a voluntary waiver from the source?

[snip]

So, assuming The Times publishes its explanation sometime in the next few days, I will be assessing it in my column on Sunday, Oct. 23. I will need time to do some reporting. A representative of Ms. Miller has indicated that she will talk to me at some point, and I would expect to have access to both Mr. Keller and Arthur Sulzberger Jr., the publisher, if necessary.
(

No comments: