Wednesday, August 31, 2005

FBI: 780 pages of Cheney's File for $68

To recap: My assorted FOIA requests and appeals for the FBI files on Bush and Cheney continue to wend their way through the FBI's maze, more than a year after I filed the FOIA requests.

Here's the correspondence I've received from the FBI, outlining what they've discovered in their records connected to my request for Cheney's file.

I hope to soon have in my possession all of the 780 pages the agency says it has available.

If you'd like to contribute to the costs of obtaining the 780 pages, please send funds through my PayPal account, on my blog. Thanks.

^^^


August 25, 2005

Federal Bureau of Investigation
Washington, DC

Mr. Michael Petrelis
San Francisco, CA

Request No.: 1001868-000
Subject: CHENEY, DICK (VICE PRESIDENT)

Dear Mr. Petrelis:

This is in reference to your Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) request.

We have located approximately 780 pages which appear to relate to your request. Under Title 28, Code of Federal Regulations (CFR), Sections 16.11 and 16.49, there is a duplication fee of ten cents per page for every page released over 100.

These regulations require us to notify requesters when anticipated charges exceed $25, and if all the pages are released, you will owe $68.00 in duplication costs. Please remember this is only an estimate; and if some of the pages are withheld or are not identifiable with your subject, the actual charges could be less.

Since the cost indicated is only an estimate, no payment should be made at this time. Please advise us if you are willing to incur these costs. If you fail to respond within thirty days from the date of this letter, your request will be limited to the first 100 releaseable pages.

If you have any questions concerning this matter, please do not hesitate to telephone my representative, Mr. Loren Shaver, at 202-220-1012.

Sincerely yours,
David M. Hardy
Section Chief, Record/Information Dissemination Section
Federal Bureau of Investigation

- - -

August 31, 2005

David M. Hardy
Federal Bureau of Investigation
Washington, DC

Dear Mr. Hardy:

I am in receipt of your letter regarding the 780 pages the agency has located in its files related to my request for Vice President Dick Cheney's dossier.

As I said in my two voice mail messages to Mr. Loren Shaver, I will bear the estimated $68.00 duplication costs.

Please continue processing my FOIA request and send me all 780 pages you reference, along with a bill for the costs incurred.

Regards,
Michael Petrelis
San Francisco, CA

No comments: