Friday, April 02, 2004

Dear Mr. Bovino,

I thought your department's job was to examine decisions and actions by
The New York Times. My point is that Ms. Mathis has not adequately
addressed Dr. Altman's conflicts and consistent lack of disclosure.

You asked me to supply you with specific recent examples of his work that raise questions. I believe I have done so and I must say I am surprised and somewhat appalled by
your curt reply.

Are you really satisfied that his work and his associations raise no
questions of conflict of interest? And that such associations don't warrant disclosure from the Times? Are you satisfied with his extreme one-sided
reporting? Don't you think his pieces lack essential other voices?

By the way, today's San Francisco Chronicle ran the following disclosure appended to a story from India about the country's AIDS epidemic, written by the paper's chief medical correspondent. [1]

"Sabin Russell is traveling in India on a grant from the Kaiser Family Foundation."

The Times might consider following the San Francisco Chronicle's example of routinely informing readers of reporters' associations outside of the paper.

I would appreciate a more detailed reply than your last one.


Regards,
Michael Petrelis

Source:
1. San Francisco Chronicle

^^^^^^^^^


Forwarded Message:

Subj: Re: What's wrong with Dr. Altman's NYT stories?
Date: 4/1/2004 3:55:51 PM Central Standard Time
From: public@nytimes.com
To: MPetrelis@aol.com
Sent from the Internet (Details)


Dear Mr. Petrelis,

As I understand it, Catherine Mathis has responded to your concerns regarding Mr. Altman's background.

I do not see what more I can add.

Sincerely,
Arthur Bovino
Office of the Public Editor
The New York Times

No comments: